Thursday, June 16, 2011

Portraits II

Today was another lucky day for portraits. I walked through the most decayed lanes in my neighbourhood as residents were eating lunch. I ran into these very friendly grandmas that were extremely amused by my interest in their daily lives. One of them, while laughing heartily, asked me for a print of the pictures I was taking, and when I promised I would she proudly held her bowl of rice for the shot.

Lunch time

Her neighbour made me sit down next to her, held my hands, laughed happily and chatted away in incomprehensible (to me) Shanghainese dialect while neighbours walked by and looked puzzled at both of us: her talking and me nodding.

Come here, sit with me!

This little girl was shopping for groceries with her mom in the lane's market. I was drawn to her angelical face. This was the first shot I got of her, when she was still shy and apprehensive. That feeling vanished after she saw herself on the screen, with her mom approving and encouraging her to smile and pose. Before I realized, there was a crowd stretching necks over my shoulder trying to see the source of all the ohs and ahs. I'm sure someone will know where to find them so I can give the mom some prints too.

China doll

1 comment:

  1. The little girl does have an angelic face. What a portrait that is. I like the shoes and the mop as well. We have mops similar to this one here in America where we live. They even have a plastic, funnel-like sleeve above the mop on the handle. You slide that down over the mop and then twist the handle to wring out the mop.

    ReplyDelete