Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Where do you get your carbs?

When I first moved to Shanghai, we hired a housekeeper (in Chinese, Ayi). She didn't speak a word of English, and I didn't speak a word of Chinese. All went well between us except any time she saw me eating, when she would shake her head and frown. One day she met Jack, our driver (who speaks English) and immediately asked him to translate a very important question she needed to ask me. She said: "At lunch she doesn't eat rice. She doesn't eat noodles. She doesn't eat steamed rolls. I'm really concerned about her health!" Jack explained that outside China people eat other things, and rice, noodles and rolls are not an everyday need. She was still shaking her head. After a bit of Chinese discussion Jack looked at me and said: "She still worries and needs to know where you get your carbs. Can I tell her that you eat bread?" She has not worried about my carbs since.


Steamed buns
Noodles

3 comments:

  1. I love those black and white photos!!
    The story are also interested in it:)
    I just could imagine that scenery.Misako

    ReplyDelete
  2. hah, ayi is really funny
    --Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sil. . . I try to stay away from carbs too ;)

    Mike

    ReplyDelete